Translate

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Carcassone

Last Wednesday James kindly offered to pick the kids up from school so Mum and I could have a whole day out. We decided to make the most of our free day and drive to Carcassone. We got there at about 10.30 and made our way to the closest cafe for a coffee. After our pain au chocolate we headed for the castle. Even though this was my third time to Carcassone I had not actually been into the castle part and museum. We joined the short queue trying to avoid the tour groups! It was great finally getting to walk the ramparts and seeing inside the very well restored keeps.

Preparing for a music festival.









A view from the ramparts.




I also really enjoyed the museum and learning about the history of this fairy tale castle.

We then headed back out into the old city with the aim being to have cassoulet for lunch. We dined at one of the old restaurants in the square and had the traditional cassoulet of haricot bean stew with a Toulousian sausage and a duck leg - very tasty!

We then hit the shops and mum managed to find lots of lovely things for gifts and for herself and I got some lovely end of school year gifts for Hannah's teacher aide and Penelope's singing teacher. I discovered though that after hunting everywhere for a soft toy with a carcassone theme for Penelope and eventually finding one that there is an untapped market. There were so many boy toys - swords, daggers, knights, slingshots, shields etc but very little on the medieval theme for girls - princess dolls, magic wands, crowns are just a few thoughts!

After a big day out Mum and I decided to just take it easy on Thursday and head to Ikea. We arrived before it opened so headed to the Ikea cafe for a coffee. We both got a coffee and a cinnamon scroll still warm out of the oven and Mum offered to shout me. We were both shocked when the total price for our morning tea was €1! Yummy and a bargain - perfect. I soon made up for it though by filling my trolley with bargains!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment