Translate

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Breaking the rules

We have been in our house now for almost three weeks and been in France for three months - hard to believe really. We are starting to settle into the everyday routine and have had to adjust from staying in a hotel to living in a house. We now have to pay bills, garden and clean - a bit of a Reality Check after just really living like holiday makers for two and a half months! The up side is so much more space with the children each having their own rooms and two to spare.

Recent developments are that James and I are having French lessons. We have found a lovely French lady who has just moved to Toulouse from Bristol where she has lived for twenty years. She is going to come to our house once a week for an hour. James is a bit further on then me so hopefully I will catch up soon.

We have also found a local English speaking doctor due to the fact that Penelope has been sick and she has bronchitis! We went to the doctor on Monday morning but couldn't get her medicine until Monday afternoon as the pharmacy was closed till 2pm on Mondays. I don't really understand the not working on a Monday morning - as someone here said France is special like that!

We have also found a speech language therapist for Hannah. She is really nice and it will be good for Hannah to have some help with her speech again.

Today James has gone to look at some plane wings in Bordeaux so I promised the kids lunch at the mall as they finish school at 12.30 on Wednesdays. There is a great restaurant called flunch. There are all sorts of rules around paying and ordering and I thought I had it all sorted and they have changed the systems - very painful! The system is that you get your tray and cutlery then pay and order then go and get your food. It is buffet so Hannah loves it as she can have as many fries as she likes. The new system is that now you have to order the kids meals right by the cutlery on a computer and get a docket then exchange that docket for another docket when you pay. Even though I was right at the counter the lady told me I had to go back to the start to order the kids meals - no flexibility in France rules are rules!

So we trudged back to the start and the kids put what they wanted into the computer. It is a better system but they could have been flexible for a non French speaker with three kids surely?

I had my own private little rebellion at my table though as you are suppose to have your plate on your tray on the table so then the wait staff can stack the trays easier to clear the table. We just put our plates straight onto the table with no trays - such rebels that will teach them for messing with me!

We were heading for home but I spotted the Santas grotto so got the kids to pose in front of it. Penelope is such a trouper though as she is actually still quite sick but managed a great smile for the camera!



Managed to get home safely thanks to my gps as I had no idea where I was heading!-
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you will not be beaten by silly rules Rach! That'll show em not to mess with a kiwi girl eh??! Hope P felling better soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you rebel LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rach such a rebel - funny. Next time spill some s and P on the table that will really get them going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very funny how everyone seems to do the same thing. At MacDonalds everybody puts there trays and food away in the rubbish but then at Flunch you leave your trays on the table - hard to keep up! Imagine the chaos if everyone did it a different way - actually I'm sure it wouldn't matter one bit!

    ReplyDelete